Why this website?
This is a typical profile of a retail investor:
- Listen to tips (from gurus, friends, family, etc)
- Buy stocks today and expect to earn 20% by next week
- Want to get rich quick from the stock market
- Not willing to lose
- Not interested to spend time and energy to do sufficient research
The list goes on and on with all the bad habits and misconceptions of the stock market. Without a good understanding about themselves and the market, retail investors often become financially worse off instead. Listening to the advice of profit-driven financial advisors ain’t helping much either.
BigFatPurse wants to help retail investors find their approach to the market. The only way to survive in the market is to understand yourself, learn the right knowledge and put them into good use. There are generally three types of investors
- Passive Investor
- Active Investor
What kind of investor are you? What knowledge do you need? What should you do as a Passive Investor, Active Investor, and Trader? We want to help you find these answers.
What you will not see in this website
1) Financial News – We live in a world that is very cluttered with everything trying to grab our attention. There are already plenty of financial news providers out there where you can read about them. BigFatPurse does not want to reiterate and add on the clutter. Moreover, true investing does not rely on news.
2) Predictions – No one can be a market seer. Likewise for you too. Predictions are usually wrong but many people still want to do it. Trying to prove that “I am right” is an egoistic nature of humans. Predictions also generate a lot of hype and get many to be interested. BigFatPurse does not know the future and she does not want to mislead you. BigFatPurse wants to help you focus on the sound principles that will bring you a higher certainty of attaining wealth.
3) Stock Recommendations – BigFatPurse does not believe in stock recommendations. In actual fact, people who recommend stocks are not rich through investing, but rather through their paid advice. The world’s richest investors like Warren Buffett and George Soros do not give recommendations.
Alvin, BigFatPurse Founder
It took me quite some time to really get serious into investing, especially coming out with a concrete strategy tailored for myself. But I guess it is better late than never!
I am a true believer and supporter of the “slow and steady” index investing philosophy. This investing method is really the most fool-proof and I do not understand why many people are not doing it. It should be the foundation of investment where everyone should begin as early as possible! This is especially true for people who have no time or interest in investing, but want to grow their wealth steadily.
I have attended a two trading courses (T3B Stocks and Forex Trading). The advantage of attending these courses enabled me to begin trading immediately without the need to develop a system from scratch. This gave me the focus to work on my psychology, which is the most important element for successful trading. Predominantly, I use Contracts For Difference (CFD) for my trades, which allows me to long and short the market with leverage.
I have also attended Dennis Ng’s stocks and property investment courses. His style is best described as cycle investing, whereby he buys fundamentally strong companies at deep discount during market crashes, and sell them when market reaches euphoria.
I was interviewed and featured in “What’s Your Position” on ChannelNewsAsia. You can watch the video here.
My first book, “Secrets of Singapore Trading Gurus”, was launched in Nov 2011. You can find out how 8 Singaporeans trade the markets successfully here.
Jon, BigFatPurse Partner
I have always loved ideas. I love how they creep up on you from behind like little kids at the least unexpected moments, and make you feel that the world is full of possibilities. I love how they, when given the right amount of attention, blossom and take on a life of their own. I love ideas because they often make me see things from a totally different perspective, and make me think about myself, the people, and the world around me.
My association with BigFatPurse started because of a trading idea that I needed to bounce off, and up till now, the ideas never stopped flowing. The famed playwright George Bernard Shaw wrote: If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples, we will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us would have two ideas. I write because I believe that the more ideas we share and exchange, the more ideas we will all end up with. I write because I believe BigFatPurse is the best fruit bowl for the exchange of ideas on all things money.
Getty Goh, Ascendant Assets Founder
Getty Goh is a well sought after property investment expert and commentator. Besides being an author of two bestselling books, Buy Bye Property, and Buy R.I.G.H.T. Property, he regularly contributes articles to Straits Times, PropertyGuru.com, and Yahoo!; and he is also seen giving his perspectives on ChannelNewsAsia and SMART Property Expo. Armed with an Honours Degree and Masters in Building, Getty’s edge in the property market lies in his research skills and his ability to synthesize meaningful data into practical investment decisions.
Epps, Permanent Portfolio Investor
Epps is a Singaporean who follows the Permanent Portfolio investment strategy. Permanent Portfolio is designed to provide long term investments with consistent market returns in different economic conditions, while providing protection against big losses. The strategy does not rely on market timing, hence making it possible for unsophisticated investors to carry out.
Sam Goh, Wisdom Capital Founder
Sam Goh is the founder and executive wealth coach at Wisdom Capital, a wealth coaching firm that specializes in providing interactive financial and investment planning workshops & seminars to improve the financial literacy among consumers in Singapore. He was appointed Money Sensible Youth Ambassador since 2006 by the Monetary Authority of Singapore. He has been featured in major newspapers, magazines and TV talk-shows in Singapore which include Lianhe Zaobao, The Sunday Times, The Straits Times, The Business Times, AsiaOne Business, NTUC Lifestyle magazine, Money Smart etc.
Dennis Ng, housingloansg.com and MasterYourFinance.com Founder
The late Dennis Ng has contributed 3 articles in BigFatPurse.
- 6 Reasons Why You Should NOT Repay Your Housing Loan Early
- Is Singapore Property Over-priced?
- Housing Loans for Investing vs Home Purchase, any difference?
All viewpoints are strictly for information only and may not be suitable for your financial needs or goals. Please carry out more research or consult a qualified financial advisor to assist you. Although the author tries to provide accurate information, mistakes or inaccuracies may still arise and the author will not be liable for any inaccuracy.